PDP Lied, No Attack on Atiku’s Convoy in Maduguri – Police
POLITICS DIGEST – Police in Borno on Wednesday debunked the rumoured attack on the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar at a rally in Maiduguri.
Spokesman of the PDP presidential campaign council, Dino Melaye, had said earlier that at least 74 persons were hospitalised while several vehicles were vandalised as hoodlums attacked Atiku’s motorcade in Maiduguri.
Police spokesman, ASP Kamilu Shatambaya, told newsmen, however, that the allegation was baseless and had no truth in it.
Shatambaya described the report that Atiku was attacked while addressing a rally in Maiduguri as mischievous.
He described the story as fake, a hoax and an attempt by some unguarded people to incite disturbances and disrupt peaceful coexistence of people of the state.
He explained that the rally was conducted successfully under tight and adequate security coverage.
“The candidate was accompanied to the Shehu of Borno’s palace after which he was accompanied to the Ramat Square where he addressed his supporters.
“The Commissioner of Police, Mr Abdu Umar, was also at the venue to ensure that everything went on successfully.